Follow the work of the SustainUS Rio+20 delegates as we head to Rio de Janeiro for the Rio+20 Earth Summit June 2012. This event will draw thousands to Brazil to examine how we can better address the coupled ecological and social crises that confront the world. SustainUS has followed these negotiations closely in our effort to advance sustainable development and enable youth engagement in these forums.
Read our bios: Twenty two delegates will make it to Rio for Rio+20. The delegation, selected in October 2011, has been working hard for more than eight months to prepare for the conference. Delegates come from all over, from Puerto Rico to Blaine, Washington in the far northwest corner of the US, and include recent high school graduates through to graduate students and young professionals.
The SustainUS Rio+20 Agents of Change Delegation at the Rio+20 Youth Blast, June 12, 2012.
- A Future UnCompromised: Policy Briefs on Sustainable Development (June 2012) - The SustainUS Rio+20 Policy Committee has pulled together a set policy briefs on our positions going into Rio+20.
- SustainUS's Response to the Rio+20 Chair's May Text (May 29, 2012) - SustainUS delegates outline changes that we would like to see to the late May version of the Rio+20 outcome document.
- Rio+20: A Water Guide (May 2012) - This guide provides an overview of the water aspects in the Rio+20 negotiations
- SustainUS blog entries - frequent updates
- The Earth Summit Debacle: Why our Leaders Don't Have Game by Ellie Johnston
- Civil Society Occupies the Rio+20 Earth Summit by Michael Sandmel
- Reflections on Rio+20: Bitter Disappointment in the Whole Process by Adam Hasz
- A Different Approach to Rio +20: The Transition from Dynamism/Inception to Implementation by Sarah Dayringer (June 22, 2012)
- Youth at Rio+20: Finding a Space for Creative Exchange by Kit Dobyns (June 22, 2012)
- How Did Youth in Rio Get Organized? by Sarah Dayringer (June 22, 2012)
- A Voice to be Heard by Lauren Borsa (June 22, 2012)
- Community-Based Initiatives Offer Hope at Rio+20 by Hannah Freedman (June 21, 2012)
- What Will Young People Do if Rio+20 Fails? By Olimar Maisonet-Guzman (June 17, 2012)
- It's the Little Things By Sophia Sennett (June 17, 2012)
- Rio Plus Twenties by Adam Hasz (June 17, 2012)
- ‘Sustainable Development Needs Peace,’ youth insist at Rio+20 by Hudson McFann, Sophia Sennett & Sarah Pendergast (June 15, 2012)
- What's Sex Got to Do With it? by Emily Nosse-Leirer (June 15, 2012)
- Young People Lead the way on Sustainable Development by Lisa Curtis on Huffington Post (June 15, 2012)
- Green Economy, New Economy? by Rina Kuusipalo in Outreach (June 15, 2012)
- Connecting the Sustainable Development Dots by Hannah Freedman (June 13, 2012)
- Rio+20 Delegate Lisa Curtis Reports: Youth at Rio by Lisa Curtis (June 11, 2012)
- Why YOU Matter for the Rio+20 Earth Summit by Adam Hasz (June 10, 2012)
- The Last Push for Rio by Olimar Maisonet-Guzman on Nexus Platform (June 2, 2012)
- Speak up! Young people need to be heard at the Earth Summit! by Ellie Johnston on Grist.org (May 2, 2012)
- World Youth Declaration for Water by Olimar Maisonet-Guzman on climate.america.gov (May 2, 2012)
- Emily Nosse-Leirer Story of how she got to Rio+20 (June 15, 2012)
- Hannah Freedman Rio+20 Story (June 15, 2012)
- Oli Tells World Bank: The Future We Want - Oli Maisonet (June 10, 2012)
- First Days in Rio - Adam Hasz (June 8, 2012)
Ways you can engage in Rio+20 - From joining the Major Group on Children and Youth to retweeting us, there are millions of ways you can participate in the Rio+20 action.
Facebook: SustainUS fan page
- Moscow High Graduate Heads to UN Summit - Moscow-Pullman Daily News (June 13, 2012)
- UWC Activists Head to Rio Earth Summit - UWC-USA (May 14, 2012)
- Students on the Road to Rio - Mt. Holyoke News (April 19, 2012)